Lifetime Insurance (LTI) is a upcoming permanent insurance policy with no expiration date unlike the Standard Hull Insurance. LTI can not be obtained separately, but upgrading a ship in possession of LTI allows to transfer LTI from one ship to another. The insurance covers the loss of the hull and the default components but not any modifications made or cargo stored inside the ship which will be able to be covered by a separate policy, the price will be based upon the risk level of the system entered. If the risk level is above 5, upgrade and cargo insurance are unavailable. LTI insurance does not apply to ships bought in-game and insurance policies cannot be transferred from one ship to another.
If a ship with LTI is destroyed or captured it will be replaced with an identical model in equivalent condition. The replacement may not arrive immediately and the more often a ship is destroyed, the longer the wait until its replacement arrives.
Additional insurance may be temporarily suspended for ships with outstanding bounties and proven cases of insurance fraud will result in invalidation of LTI and may result in large (in-game) fines.
Transferring ship ownership and LTI
Ships gifted by early backers retain their LTI.
- Anyone who pledged for a copy of Star Citizen before the end of the 1-week grace period after the new RSI website opened on June 28, 2013 automatically received LTI on their pledged ships.
- The limited number of Vanduul Scythe fighters with LTI sold through on the RSI website during the original pledge campaigns, and the Banu Merchantman and Xi'an Khartu-Al sold through the RSI site during the one year anniversary sale are the only insured alien ships.[source?]
- Prior to June 28, 2013, if someone received a ship with LTI as a gift, they would gain the same backer status as the purchaser of the gift.
- Standard Hull Insurance
- robertsspaceindustries.com "Insurance FAQ and Update". Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- robertsspaceindustries.com "Updated FAQ". Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- robertsspaceindustries.com "Friday Update: Gifting and Jump Point!". Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- robertsspaceindustries.com "Aurora Sale - Thanks!". Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- robertsspaceindustries.com "Lifetime Insurance Clarification". Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- robertsspaceindustries.com "The 300 Series Revealed". Retrieved July 16, 2021.
- robertsspaceindustries.com "Star Citizen Anniversary Livestream & Sale!". Retrieved July 16, 2021.