Citizenship in Star Citizen grants some benefits, e.g., slightly lower tax rates, but also has a downside as some cultures frown upon it. [source?]
Becoming a Citizen
Convicted criminals are never allowed to become Citizens and a long history of behavior deemed counter to the purposes and dictates of the UEE can cause your Citizenship to be revoked.
The following are things which Citizens are able to do but civilians aren't.
- Allowed to own a Multi-System Corp
- Pursue political office (on a local or UEE level)
- Vote for UEE issues (Senators, Referendums, etc.) & Local Elections/Legislation
- Work for the UEE government (like the Advocacy)
- Easier to obtain UEE trade licenses to sell/buy from Xi’An or Banu
- They pay a slightly lower tax rate